Do NOT Freeze or Heat Your Hard Drive
Call us: 01438 741718
Two More Common "Internet Solutions" Reputed to Fix a Failing Hard Drive Include Putting it in a Freezer, or Heating it With a Hair Dryer:
- Whilst there is a rational basis for both suggestions, both are also likely to make a bad situation even worse!
- Freezing a drive is meant to stop it from over heating
- In reality, once the drive is powered on again the temperature rises and the drive fills with condensation, which damages the electronic components
- Heating a drive aims to expand the metal inside the hard drive and somehow ‘free-up’ a non-spinning drive, allowing it to spin again
- In truth, even if this does work, it is likely to be a temporary fix that will not even last long enough to recover the data